13 Ways to Say “Thank You”
One of the most powerful phrases in the English language is “thank you.”
I am BIG on kindness, I try to let it lead my life and I find that people really notice it. My sense is that they feel safe around me because they can count on me to be that way. My family, clients, and employees regularly hear my appreciation and acknowledgments. My assistant, Megan, recently reported that was her authentic experience working with me anyway.
With lots of thank yous, you express appreciation for a kind gesture or service someone has done. These two small words have the power to make someone’s day.
When you want to go the extra mile in expressing gratitude, try one of these 13 ways to say “thanks”:
1. Smile. Express your gratitude with a smile and, notice, the other person will almost always smile back. If that person is having a bad day, your smile could be just the thing that turns their whole day around.
2. Send a little note. If perhaps, you find it easier to express yourself in writing. All you need to do is write a short note expressing your appreciation. Your heartfelt words will mean more to the recipient than the most beautiful poetry in the world.
3. Find a unique gift. Look for a something you can give as a token of your appreciation. Try buying them coffee or sending them chocolates if you don’t know them really well. And if you aren’t sure, you can always ask their friends or spouse for ideas.
4. Invite them out. Say “thank you” with a dinner or time together doing something fun that you both enjoy. Quality time goes a long way with people. Nothing says “I appreciate you” more than this.
5. Share your story. Brag to others about what someone has done for you. It’s likely to get back to them how highly you’re speaking of them. Even better, brag about them to others in front of them. This will improve their reputation and their confidence at the same time! Such a cool thing to do.
6. Offer a favor. Let the person choose what kind of favor they’d like from you. A small favor can often help someone out in a big way.
7. Buy them a ticket to an event. Find a local concert or show that they would enjoy and buy them tickets.
8. Contribute to a charity. Find out their favorite non-profit and make a donation in their name. If they don’t have one, find out their passion and make a donation to an appropriate source. The thoughtfulness and selflessness of this action will make the person feel so good, how could it not?
9. Add a personal touch. Say “thank you” with a homemade gift. The person will recognize the gesture. You can handcraft a card or make a photo slideshow. Creating something sentimental truly shows your appreciation.
10. Phone call. Sometimes a simple phone call is all you need to get your message across. In addition to a phone call to say “thank you,” you can call on a regular basis to see how they’re doing. Offer your friendship. This is a special gift.
11. Give them a “Gift of the Month.” For someone who’s always doing nice things for you, consider a gift subscription to their favorite magazine. Anything that shows up regularly shows deep gratitude.
12. Give a gift certificate. If you’re having trouble figuring out the perfect thank you gift, consider a gift certificate. That way, they’re sure to get something they like.
13. Bake some cookies. If you love to bake, your talents can be a sweet way to show your gratitude. Everyone loves delicious, homemade desserts.
The only limit is your imagination. Choose one of these ideas or come up with your own way to say “thank you” to someone special in a meaningful way that strengthens your relationship. People need to feel appreciated and needed in order to feel safe — and you can do that with these two words.