5 Proven Tips to Turn Your Plans Into Reality
5 Proven Tips to Turn Your
Plans Into Reality
As we near the end of the year, are your thoughts already turning towards the New Year? Are you dreaming about what’s possible, what you want to be different and what’s next in your life and your business? Here are five proven tips to turn your plans into reality.
Surely, you have big plans for your future. However, a plan is just a dream without action to get the ball rolling towards your desired result. It’s time to put your fears and indecisiveness aside and pursue the reality that you know you deserve!
I am someone who loves planning and dreaming, creating mindmaps and goals. As a creative entrepreneur I have struggled in the past to make those plans and dreams a reality because I didn’t design a specific action plan to make them happen. Too much dreaming and not enough action will not create the traction to keep you moving forward.
Try these proven tips to help you achieve your dreams:
1. Know what you want. Decisiveness leads to success. If you’re fickle about how you see your life in 5 years, or even just 6 months from now, you’ll keep spinning your wheels. Pick the road that is best for you and stick to it!
I know this is easier said than done for creative entrepreneurs. Sticking to it is not in our vocabulary. We are drawn to new ideas, new possibilities and are easily side-tracked by the bright and shiny! So how do you learn to stick to it?
* Ensure that your goal directly affects and benefits you. Let others worry about what’s best for them. For example, if you want your son to get into Penn State because that’s your alma mater, he’s the one that has to make that call. You’re in charge of your own life, and only the decisions that affect you.
2. Be practical. You’re unlikely to lose 10 pounds in five days, and it’s silly to want to teach yoga before you’ve even taken a class yourself. Ensure that your plans are practical as a whole and that you allot a reasonable timeframe to their attainment.
Do you struggle with timelines and knowing how much time it will take to reach your goals? Business success comes from two things: consistency and patience. It can be frustrating when you long to move fast and the world around you doesn’t catch on.
3. Get started. The first step is by far the most important step in order to enact your plans. Making the initial move will inspire you to follow through with the necessary steps thereafter.
* Often, the first step is the simplest step. Many of my clients are intuitive but don’t always trust their intuition to guide them when it comes to business. I encourage you to connect to your inner knowing and simply ask, “What is the first step I need to take?” Practice this daily!
4. Take it step-by-step. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. If you want quality, lasting results, break your process down into small, measurable results that you can surely attain. I find that the smaller the steps the better. Many small steps will get you there as quickly as one giant disorganized leap.
5. Acquire some training. If you’re attempting to carry out a complicated plan that you lack experience in doing, it’s a smart idea to get training in the field.
* You’ll greatly benefit from downloading an eBook or attending a local class that teaches you how to properly execute your plan. The investment is often free or inexpensive, but the additional information could make the difference between failure and joyous success.
Many plans that we create in our minds remain only a dream. The culprit of this dooming behavior is often complacency, fear of failure, or sheer laziness. But know this: if you truly want something, you stand to gain a lifetime of happiness by chasing it.
If you fail, you can always try again. Being able to say that you’ve given an honest attempt is an honor in itself. You only have one life to live; with decisive action and persistence, you can overcome every obstacle in your way to achieve the reality you desire!
I am just a few weeks out from my first 3-day live event. In late August, this idea was just a dream. I didn’t know how I would get people to attend, where I would hold it or what content I would offer. I have had this dream for a couple of years but never felt quite ready to make it happen.
I kept seeing this dream out in front of me. I did get training on how to host this type of event, but I still didn’t feel ready to commit. Then my husband said, “What are you waiting for, just do it!” I took it one step at a time and while I am still nervous, excited and stressed about the details, I am making this dream a reality.
Each day I have practiced staying focused on this one project – saying no to coffee with friends, saying no to volunteer activities, and trusting my intuition about each step along the way. And I implemented each of the 5 tips above. No matter what happens at the event, I can say that I made my dream a reality.
What is a dream that you have been sitting on, noodling about or hoping would happen? Do you need an action plan to make it a reality?
I would love for you to share in the comments a dream that you will make happen in the New Year or a dream that you made a reality this year!
Great post Minette!
Love all your suggestions and you’re so right, if we fail all we need to do is learn from it and course-correct! We always have a second try! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Great post and No1 is so important- knowing what you really really want. I am back to monofocusing today, it works thanks for the tips xxoo