Goal setting is one of the best ways to get ahead in life – but only if you’re setting your goals effectively!
Are you trying for unattainable goals that you aren’t really passionate about? Do you quickly give up on your goals? It can be easy to get discouraged, but you don’t have to end up there!
With the right strategies, you can set goals that really matter to you and meet them more easily than you ever imagined.
Most importantly, your goals should be yours and not someone else’s. The goals that your parents, friends, and family members have for you may not be the same for yourself.
What’s Important to YOU?
Too many people set goals to be rich, write a best-selling novel, or marry someone who’s famous, wealthy, or otherwise important or influential. If those are truly your dreams, there’s nothing wrong with them. However, if they’re just society’s dreams – and not yours – let them go, and think about what really matters to you. What do you want out of your life?
When you’re setting goals, stop and ask yourself, “What will bring me joy, beauty and happiness?”
I will share a couple of stories about this. I was talking to a potential client yesterday who wants to launch a new business and it feels big, overwhelming and not fun at all. She was doing it just for the money, not for love or passion. When we really dove deeply into exactly what she wants to do and how we could simplify it, her entire being transformed from one of exhaustion and overwhelm to one of lightness and joy. If your goals aren’t exciting and meaningful, you just won’t get make them happen.
Your goals might include things like:
* Starting your own business
* Changing careers
* Helping others
* Buying your own home
* Having material wealth
* Being physically fit
* Attaining spiritual enlightenment
No matter what you choose or how many goals you have, you can reach them if you’re dedicated and committed to making them happen. Make sure that your goals are in alignment with your core values and how you want to live your life.
Making Your Goals Come True
Once you’ve decided what really matters to you and you set your goals, you can begin to make them a reality in your life. Although your goals will take some work, watching them come into fruition is exciting and satisfying!
Follow these tips to help you achieve your goals:
1. Keep your focus. Keep a picture of the life you desire at the forefront of your mind. When frivolous things try to distract you, as they will, remember to make choices according to what’s really important to you. That’s one reason why I love creating vision boards, they help me keep my focus. I am a very visual person and need reminders in front of me to stay on track and in action.
* Take action toward your goal every day. Each day, find something you can do that will bring you a little closer to meeting your goal.
* When challenges arise, getting discouraged won’t change anything, so seek solutions that can put you back on track. Just stay focused and adjust your plans as necessary.
I am currently planning a 3-day live event for December called The Path to Profit: Design Your Roadmap to Success. It feels big, exciting and scary. I woke up Monday feeling nervous and scared. What I know for myself is that to get out of that space of fear, I have to get into action. As soon as I take on positive action toward my goals, the fear dissipates!
2. Be open to change. Your goals aren’t set in stone. If you choose to change what you’re focused on and set a new goal, that doesn’t mean you’ve given up on your goals. It only means you’ve seen that your goals need to change, just as you change. That’s a sign of growth and wisdom. Staying flexible is one of my biggest secrets to success!
3. Set realistic timelines. Some goals can be met in a day or a week, but larger goals often take months or years. When you set goals, it’s important to be realistic about how long you expect them to take.
* If it’s too far away, you might procrastinate, or you may not start at all.
* If it’s too soon, you’ll be frustrated and discouraged if you don’t make your deadline.
4. Divide your goal into small steps. Another great way to reach your goals is to divide big goals into smaller ones. Each small goal is one step, or one task, on the way to achieving your ultimate goal. The smaller the step the better!
* Set individual deadlines for these small steps. This way, you’ll always be moving forward, one step at a time.
* For example, if your goal is to own your own business, there are things you’ll need to look into like licensing, income, credit, location, and others. Each one of these tasks is one step. You could also subdivide these steps into even smaller goals.
5. Avoid giving up. Many people give up on their goals just before they reach them, not even realizing how close they were. Never give up! You may be closer than you think. Are you closer to the finish line than you realize? Take stock before giving up.
If you would like more support, you can listen to this webinar I recorded recently: Finish the Year Strong! It’s Not too Late to Go for the Gold.
This webinar is for you if:
- Havenâ€™t reached your financial goals yet but are committed to making it happen;
- You are almost there but want to finish strong and bust through your goal;
- Believe that you can sell during the holidays but not sure what to offer;
- Think itâ€™s not possible to make money in November and December and would love to be proven wrong.
Click here to to access the recording! You will also receive a 30 Day Affirmation Series to support you in reaching your goals.
Copyright: iloveotto / 123RF Stock Photo