Q is for questions in our ABCs of art journaling. Questions help us to get over the dreaded lack of ideas when we look at a blank page. Perhaps this is why I love writing on my pages first before approaching the page. If you do a Google search for art journaling prompts you will find a long list of art journal prompts to choose from. In this post I share 5 of my favorite questions that I use over and over as art journal prompts.
As I write this post, it’s Sunday morning, I am at my mom’s house in Estes Park, Colorado. My last day here after a lovely week long visit. My stepdad went to pick up fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I’ve been up for hours writing in my journal and reading. I’m ready for some play time, but where to begin?
I’m reading a wonderful book called The Warrior Heart Practice by HeatherAsh Amara. This morning I was reading about feelings and learning to sit with my emotions rather than shove them down or find creative ways to avoid them. I realized that for me art journaling creates a safe place to express my emotions.
Rituals for Beginning the Creative Process
A ritual can help you get into the creative mood. I often use a simple ritual for connecting to myself and to Spirit before settling into create. Sometimes I might light a candle. I always have a cup of coffee or tea.
- First, I connect to my breath, to myself and to the Divine
- Then, I ask myself a question and sit quietly with answer for a moment or two.
- Next, I write about it for a few moments either in a journal or directly onto the art journal page.
- Finally, I begin to create my page, one layer at a time.
Taking time to pause and be intentional in this way allows me to enjoy the process and not get caught up in trying to decide what to create.
Because of the layered process of how I build art journal pages, I often work in more than one journal at a time so I can allow time for layers to dry. Or I will use my hair dryer or craft dryer to make sure layers are completely dry before continuing.
5 art journaling prompts to jumpstart your art journal page
- How am I feeling right now?
- What is a favorite memory I’d like to explore?
- What is a word that I keep seeing/reading everywhere?
- What is a problem I am trying to solve right now?
- What is my opportunity for growth today?
My stepdad is back with the cinnamon rolls for everyone and a gluten free blueberry muffin for me. Off to enjoy the breakfast and work on an art journaling page for today.
I can’t wait to see what you create. Do you have a favorite question or art journaling prompt that helps you to start your page?