A Creative Approach to Clarifying your Business Vision for 2015
Are you struggling to create a vision for your business in 2015? You have a vague idea of what you want to create and maybe even a big financial goal you want to reach, but you are not clear about how to get there or exactly what you need to do to get there.
One of the things I am best known for as a business coach is helping my clients to clarify their vision so that they know exactly where they are going and how to get there. Clarity is crucial to your business growth. Without clarity you will find yourself confused, scattered and unclear about what specific actions you should be taking to grow your business.
For the past several months, I have been working on my certification as an ARTbundanceÂ® coach and learning even more creative tools that I can use to integrate creativity into business and marketing strategy. Who says business planning has to be boring?
In today’s post, I want to share a fun ARTsignmentâ„˘ with you that will help you use all of your senses and your innate creativity to create a bigger and clearer vision for your business in 2015. This is one of many creative activities that I introduce in my new book, The Artful Marketer: A Fundamental Business Guide for Creative Entrepreneur, which will be published this month.
The Giant Billboard – a creative approach to clarifying your business vision
As I said before, part of your business success will come from creating a crystal-clear vision of what you want. If you just try to sit and think about clarity and use your left-brain to create a plan, you will get stuck and even bored. I invite you to try an innovative approach to designing your business this year that invites you to look at your vision from all angles and using all of your senses.
Take out your journal or some blank paper and complete the following sentences:
- This evening, I painted a giant billboard with my message to the world about my business. It said__________
- When I stepped back and looked at it, my first thought was __________
- Then I looked again and was surprised to see ___________
- When I squinted my eyes, I suddenly saw __________
- When I spun round and round, I suddenly saw __________
- When I sat in my soul, I saw ____________
- When I was perfectly still, I saw __________
- My message on this billboard looked like ___________
- My message tasted like __________
- My message smelled like _________
- My message sounded like ___________
- My message felt like __________
- My heart swelled with an invitation to share ______________
- I finally knew it was time for my business to _________________
- And I knew my very first step was to _____________
There are no right or wrong answers to this assignment. Allow your business to start to show its playful side, its spiritual side, or whatever else it wants to express to you. Write as much as you want or as little as you want. Read back over what you wrote. What surprised you? What made you smile? What is one thing you could do today to nurture this vision of your business?
When you are done writing, I encourage you to create a colorful, visual representation of your billboard. You could draw, color, paint or use magazine images to create an image of your billboard. Adding the visual image is one more dimension of capturing the essence of your business.
Once you have clarity about what you want to create, then you can start to create a plan for how to make it happen.