Want Business Success in 2015? Five Things you Must do Before December 31
Do you want Business Success in 2015?
5 Things you Must do Before December 31 for your Business
If you are serious about creating business success in 2015, begin by looking back at what you created in 2014. Did you make progress? What goals did you reach? How committed were you to your own business success this year? Looking back at my income this year, I could see where I slacked off in the summer and what I could have done differently to be more consistent and still have down time with my family. But because I was focused and consistent most of the year, I tripled my income in 2014. I am doing a happy dance every day! And the year isn’t over yet. Below you will find 5 tips and some additional resources for making sure 2015 is your most successful year in business ever!
1. Recap: Take a long, reflective look at 2014 and answer the following questions. Be honest, this is for your eyes only.
- What worked?
- What didn’t worked?
- What do you want to celebrate?
- What do you want to change for 2015?
Get out your journal and be completely honest with yourself, no one will look at these answers unless you choose to share them. Write out the answers to these questions, writing helps you tap into your creative mind. I find that most women entrepreneurs are great at seeing what their challenges are but they struggle to celebrate what they have accomplished. Don’t skip the celebration step!
2. Manage your money: Don’t wait until April to work on your taxes, set aside some time to update your books and get a clear picture of what you earned in 2014. Here are some things most of us put off:
- Organize receipts
- Update Quickbooks or whatever system you are using
- Track and record your expenses
- Celebrate the money you did make!
3. Revisit your values, vision and mission. To be successful in business it’s important to know your big WHY.
Values: The operating principles you govern your life and your business by. What are your top 5 core values for your business. If you don’t know, you can download my free values assessment here.
Vision: What you want to be different in the world that you are passionate about and want to do something about. An image of the future you want to create.
Sample: “McDonald’s vision is to be the world’s best quick service restaurant experience. Being the best means providing outstanding quality, service, cleanliness, and value, so that we make every customer in every restaurant smile.”
Mission: What you do everyday to bring about your vision – the products and services you offer.
A mission statement answers three key questions:
- What do we do?
- For whom do we do it?
- What is the benefit?
Sample: “Google’s mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
Vision, values and mission give you the big picture of your business and help remind you of the WHY of our business. For me, your big WHY is your non-negotiable. This is the clear picture of where you are headed and why you continue to do what you do every single day. Perhaps your big WHY is freedom, security, love, peace, success, your family… it doesn’t matter but it has to be big enough to create the momentum so that you stay in action all year long.
4. Revisit your Business Plan. Don’t have one? Get one! Write it in your journal or on a paper napkin. A business plan can be simple – state your income goals and list any big projects and when you plan to release them. Your business plan is just a guide post to keep you on track. It should be a flexible document. Don’t think your plan is carved in stone. Schedule time to review your plan quarterly and make adjustments as needed.
Listen to my no-cost webinar titled Jumpstart 2015 and create a one page visionary business plan. Invest in yourself by taking the time to create your plan. A plan serves as the guidepost and will help you stay focused and on track. You can see the details for the webinar here.
5. Create a 1st quarter marketing action plan. Or if that feels daunting, create a plan for January. List all of your marketing activities, when they need to get done and who will be accountable for doing them. Do you find marketing completely overwhelming and don’t even know where to start creating a plan? Consider investing in my home study program: Marketing Magic – 21 Days to Attract More Cash and More Clients. You will not only create a simple plan, but you will have the accountability you need to put it into action. Get all the details here for Marketing Magic!
Now is the perfect time to take stock, to celebrate and to dream about what’s possible for your business in 2015!